Call us old fashioned. But we'll stand by this... Baking can be romantic. Therapeutic. Compassionate. A prayer. A gift. A kindness. Love. And we can all use a little more love in this world right about now, don't you think? So if you've got an extra zucchini kicking around, darling, grab it. Grate it up. And bake these fabulous zucchini flaxseed muffins pronto. Serve these tender, grainy wheat-free breakfast muffins fresh and warm from the oven, or slice cooled muffins in half, butter and grill them on a griddle.
1 rounded cup of fresh, grated zucchini (I partially peel my zukes, in stripes)
1/3 cup sorghum flour or brown rice flour
1/3 cup GF millet flour
1/3 cup GF corn flour
1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca starch
1/3 cup GF flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons gelatin or 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup light olive oil or coconut oil
2 large free-range organic eggs, beaten or egg replacer (1/4 cup liquid)
2/3 cup soy milk, or non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon fresh lemon or orange juice
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)"
1. Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Line a 12-muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Press the grated zucchini with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as you can. After pressing, fluff with a fork. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, starch, flaxseed meal, baking powder, xanthan gum, sea salt, and cinnamon. Add in the brown sugar and stir.
4. Add the oil, lemon juice, eggs, and soy milk. Beat to combine and continue to beat on medium high until the batter is smooth- about two minutes.
5. Add in almost all of the shredded zucchini (I save out a few shreds to decorate the tops) and stir by hand to combine. If you are adding nuts to the batter, stir them in.
6. Using a spoon, drop the batter into the muffin cups and smooth the tops. Add a few shredded zucchini strands to the tops.
7. Bake in the center of a preheated oven until the muffins are golden and firm- about 20 to 25 minutes. Test doneness with a wooden pick- it should emerge clean.
Yield: 12 muffins
Copyright 2020 Gluten Free Goddess Recipes | glutenfreegoddessrecipes.com